Today we are saddened to receive unfortunate news that The Ministry of Culture of the Respublic of Lithuania decided not to fund Artūras Areima Theater for the the year 2020.
Many people working in the Arts are forced to work for free or look for ways to earn income while working elsewhere in order to realize their creative ideas. The reason for this is that (as we often find) contemporary art is not one the priorities of the State and creators working in alternative fields of art often find themselves neglected and in the margins of culture.
We believe that the purpose of contemporary culture is to shift our minds towards different directions. There are scientific studies showing that certain shifts in the brain make it work in an alternative way which can help find new solutions even when at first glance an issue seems unsolvable.
From 2014 Artūras Areima Theater is leading in creating alternative theater that roots in non-conformist culture. We never sought to be an institution or merely a theater building. Neither did we seek to be comfortable in our creative process nor to conform to society’s norms when exploring topics and ideas. In 2018, wanting to do more and grow as an artistic community, we decided to expand our vision for theater and pursue opening a first educational centre for alternative arts in Lithuania.
In 2019, with the aid of the State’s funding as well as our own funds, we opened a venue in the district of Baltupiai where we seek to de-centralize culture in the city of Vilnius. We have a constant local audience and we have welcomed many guests from abroad (France, Denmank, Belgium, Norway).
We worked really hard to be able to open a venue that both provides a space for the creative projects of Artūras Areima Theater and creates a space for the theater and arts community to come together and network. It was important for us to be able to do this in the peripheral district of Vilnius.
Recently, we have had a lot of professional and talented creators joining us because of our mutual vision for art and culture. For the majority of them, it was important to be part of a theater troupe that encourages their growth as artists and performers rather that to belong to an intitution that is detached from their artistic existence and progress.
In the recent year we have noticed that more and more young people are taking interest in theater in order to gain valuable experience and skills. We have received many applications from volunteers and interns.
We are the second independant theater in Lithuania that receives a great amount of interest in international festivals. Theater producers from France, USA, Germany, Norway, Finland and Poland actively follow our work and we have welcomed some of them to our venue in Baltupiai.
All the creators who in one way or another had or still have a close contact with the way our theater works can confirm that we support each other, encourage free-thinking and freely expressed opinions, that there is no degrading of one another, no disrespect for each other, that we are open for discussions and even arguments. What we value most in our theater is absolute honesty. We often find that we feel more like a family than a mere group of colleagues. That is the basis and vision of Artūras Areima Theater.
Today, unfortunately, we face the reality of not being able to continue our work.
Today, we (like many others) face the sad reality that here, in Lithuania, only what is comfortable, understandable and what appeals to mass consumption is needed. We experience indiference and hostility towards what is different, strange, thought-provoking and unusual.
We did not receive any financial support from the State. Therefore, we are not able to keep our venue open and will be forced to say no to many educational and communal projects.
We are now considering shutting down Artūras Areima Theater.
As of today, your support is the last hope for Artūras Areima Theater to remain alive. We are thankful for any contribution and we will find ways to express our gratitude.
We ask our audience, fellow creators, colleagues and like-minded people to directly support Artūras Areima Theater’s production in the year 2020/2021:
- This year we will continue to develop our educational project „Projekcija“ that is the first that kind of project in Lithuania. As of now, we have already developed a programme for next year that includes a close collaboration between artists from Lithuania and Poland and a free educational theater camp for theater creators and students. (In 2019 we have shown 7 contemporary theater pieces from European creators and hosted a workshop and discussion with one of the most famous theater directors in Europe – Luk Perceval)
- In 2020 we will organize a workshop for theater creators and students with Rodrigo Garcia (in 2009 he was awarded the Europe Theater Prize/New Theatrical Realities) in AAT.
- In 2020 we will organize various workshops and meet-and-greets with one of the most famous theater troupe in Europe „Needcompany“ in AAT venue in Baltupiai.
- This summer, we will organize open and free alternative music events in AAT venue.
- We will organize free reading and performace sessions by our troupe’s members in AAT venue.
- We will have open calls for interdisciplinary/performace art creators; we will provide conditions for their work to be presented in AAT venue and also help them establish connections with international festivals and theaters.
- This fall, we will organize another educational project related to the literature that has inspired theater and cinema.
- This summer, we will have an educational workshop with children from a day care centre of „SOS Chilldren’s Village Lithuania“. Liet. - „Vilniaus SOS vaikų kaimas“ Vaikų dienos centras „Parama šeimai“.
- In 2020 we will realease two premieres for productions based on literature of contemporary drama.
WE ASK YOU TO SHARE IN THE COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH AAT AND EXPRESS WHY OR WHY NOT OUR THEATER SHOULD REMAIN ALIVE.
Those of you who wish to support our existence and work directly can do so by transfering funds to our looser/non-conformist account. We appologize for being loathed. Amen. We pray to Zaratrustra.
Artūro Areimos teatras
LT87 7044 0600 0799 7928
Donation Reference: Parama AAT veiklai
"In most of the works by director Artūras Areima , there are clear boundaries and distinctions between theatrical
space and the audience, between the theatrical world and everyday reality . He
attaches great importance to the performance of actors, not easily sensational
on the stage, but through a literary rebellion full of confrontation and
deliberate destruction of traditional aesthetics, forming a strong visual
impact. His stage story is closer to the audience because of the
“alienation” of life."
More information :
More information about upcoming AAT tour dates:
par Daphné Bathalon | 23 juillet 2018
AAT|Artūras Areima theater performance Falk Richter "Under ice" will be present in festival d'Avignon OFF program on July 8-24th. More information: https://lamanufacture.org/spectacle/under-ice/2018-07-08/
Artūras Areima: « People of the Western culture are able to work very well in their field of professional life, but they may get lost in the unusual everyday situations. People are narrowing and mechanizing, forgetting simple, human-minded things. A profession takes their lives. Some want to change something, but afraid of losing what they already have. After all, if you are not rich today, you’re not promising, then there’s nothing. Because of work and career, people forget their childhood dreams, and instead of following their inclinations, they create plans and live up to them – they do what they need. So they get lost in their own lives and try to get along. It’s interesting to see if, as a result of this, a person can still change something in his life. «
Arturas Areima | Lithuania
More information : http://www.menufaktura.lt/?m=1024&s=67850
Tickets to all season performances can be purchased at TIKETA ticket offices |tickets are also available for 1 hour. before the performance at the Arts Printing House | please note: in Arts Printing House you can only pay in cash, sorry for the inconvenience
TICKETS DISTRIBUTED BY: